Thursday, June 25, 2015

Lower than the Angels

Although I've been self-publishing for a few years, I actually am a published author...just barely, anyway.  Back in 1999, I had a short story published in Lower than the Angels, a regional anthology.

I'm still pleased about my contribution, "Flip of a Coin."  Although it's not as good as what I produce now, with all the years of practice and improvement since then, the feedback I got at the time startled me, and let me know I was moving in the right direction.  At that time, I had doubts about my ability at anything other than narrative.  After being complimented on the characterizations and dialog, I knew it was time to stop trying to hide what I thought were weaknesses.

And I remain pleased about what the story tried to say, not just how I tried to say it.

Anyway, as I said, I think it's pretty good, though not my best.  It's not the best in the collection, either; there's some very fine fiction within.

Am I puffing out my chest a little?  I guess so, although I suspect all authors do.  We labor alone a long time, generally, and it's always nice to get some form of affirmation.

That said, I'm not trying to make any money with this post.  Any further sales of the anthology won't pay me a penny.  Which is fine.  It was wonderful to break out into print, all those years ago.

As for you, all I can say is, here's one place where my example might help you.  Don't hide what you think are weaknesses when you can work on them instead.  Practice and improve.  Then no doubt you'll get some affirmation too.  Either way, go for it.  Puff out your chest a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The captcha is disabled except for anonymous comments